Thursday, February 6, 2014

Seeing the Big Picture

My ward split and formed a new ward last month; I'm in the new ward. Many of my friends continued to attend their ward (that no longer includes me) and my new ward contains some people I don't know. The day I learned about my new ward, I sat at a crossroad: First road) Be sad and mourn my loss, or Second road) Be happy and look forward to one day calling the new people "friends".

I chose the second road although my heart ached for what I had once known. My mind told me, "Give it a chance" and it felt like the right thing to do. I can tell myself logical things like the church is growing, and change brings new opportunities, but despite the logic (and sorrow) I must choose how to be. The good thing is that even if I choose sadness I can change my mind and choose happiness. I'm not a house that forever and always is the same, I can change.

I don't know what the future will be but I do know that I can handle whatever it brings. I believe that the future will be bright. I also believe what Henry Ford said, "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right". My attitude determines how I see something. If I have an attitude of sadness, I'll see the worst. Likewise, if I have an attitude of happiness, I'll see the best. Either way, my attitude is up to me; and I can always change.

I love how Jesus Christ taught that people can change. I love how I might think a certain way but then when I learn something I might think a different way. For me this is true, "When you know better you do better". 

Stepping back seems to give me perspective when I see the big picture. The perspective I see is this: 1) No matter my ward, it's the same church, 2) My goal is to have eternal life and I can work toward that goal no matter my ward, 3) Strangers are just people who are not yet my friends. It seems like when change happens, the best thing to do is to remember the big picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment