Monday, December 31, 2012

Covenants

We visited our sisters in October and reminded them that honoring the covenants we've made is important.

We mostly chatted but then I shared my message with them just before we left. Taleen has always read my message for me, but I gave a talk in church in August and she said, "You sounded fine! I think you can read your own message from now on." October was the first month since we've been companions (starting in February) that I've read my own message. Taleen is a great blessing in my life and encourages me to do things I didn't think I could.

Click here to read the October VT message.

Here's my letter to my sisters:

Oct 2012

Dear Sister,

The first thing I did after reading the Visiting Teaching message about covenants was to look up what covenants I’ve made. As far as I can tell, there are two: 1) baptismal covenant and 2) temple covenants. These covenants pertain to eternal life. I want to have eternal life; therefore, I will honor my covenants. That means taking the sacrament every week and doing the promises I’ve made in the temple.

Have you ever thought of the sacrament as having to do with eternal life? In the sacrament prayer it says that if we do the things we pray for, the Lord will pour out his spirit upon us. I’m glad the Lord will bless me right now, but think about this too: if we’re obedient to taking the sacrament every week, we’re one step closer to gaining eternal life.

We encourage you to read what the Lord has promised to those who keep their covenants. Read the scriptures and talks listed in the VT message and realize what the Lord wants to give you.

My covenants with the Lord strengthen me because without them I couldn’t have eternal life. Realizing this makes me feel grateful to the Lord that He promised eternal life to me based on my faithfulness. I don’t mean being saved (we all get that because Jesus rose from the dead,) I mean being exalted and living in the celestial kingdom (we get that based on our faithfulness not just because we’re members of the church.)

We encourage you to take the sacrament, attend the temple, and do your best to faithfully honor your covenants. Take a step back from your life and think about what you ultimately want, then do what you can to get it.

We love you and hope you get your dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment